Saturday, March 5, 2011

Vegetable Marinara over Spaghetti

One of my favorite things to eat is pasta.  My senior year in high school, I went to the same restaurant every week and ordered the same Pink Pasta dish every time.  I could not get enough of it.  When my husband and I were dating in college, the first thing I cooked for him was spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread.  He raved about the meal, so every time I cooked for him, I made spaghetti.  (by the way, now he tells me, "I don't really like pasta" ) 

So after having a bacterial infection that kicked my butt for three days, where my diet consisted of bread and french fries (really nutritious, I know, but I was sick and it was all I wanted to eat...)  the first real meal I wanted to have was ... PASTA of course! 

Now when I make pasta, I always try to add lots of veggies to my pasta dishes to make them healthier.  I make this dish a lot and the ingredients are always different depending on the vegetables I have in my fridge.  Some of my favorite veggies to use are zucchini, mushrooms, peas, onions, tomatoes, or spinach.



Vegetable Marinara over Whole Wheat Spaghetti

Serves two




Ingredients: 

One medium-large zucchini -  washed and chopped

Half of a large onion - chopped

1 scant teaspoon of minced garlic

Olive Oil

Handful or two of baby spinach

Half a jar of marinara sauce

2 servings of whole wheat spaghetti - cooked


Heat some olive oil over medium high heat.  Add onions and garlic and cook until onions begin to turn translucent.   



Then add the zucchini and continue to cook until all the veggies are tender.



Next add the spinach and cook until it is wilted



Finally add half a jar of marinara sauce (or as much as you like - depending on how saucy you want it) and cook until heated through




Pour over cooked whole wheat spaghetti and enjoy. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment