Sunday, February 27, 2011

French Toast Pancakes

Julie from Peanut Butter Fingers posted this morning about her pancake breakfast.  I responded that I also had pancakes on the brain.  I first tried this recipe a few weeks ago and my husband and I both loved it, so I decided to give it another go this AM. 

French Toast Pancakes

adapted from Mama Pea's Apple Cinnamon Pancakes


Ingredients:

1 and 1/3 cup whole wheat flour

3 tsp. baking powder

1 or 2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. salt

1 tsp. sweetener (sugar, stevia, splenda...)

1 1/2 cups of milk (I used light coconut milk)

1 tsp vanilla (can add more if you want a stronger french toast flavor)

1 cup unsweetened applesauce

Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and combine with a wire whisk. 



Add the wet ingredients and mix with the wire whisk



If you use coconut milk the batter will be pretty thick

Cook on a non stick griddle over medium high heat.  I didn't time how long I cooked them, I just cooked them until the bottoms were golden brown, flipped them, and cooked until I felt they had cooked through. 

Top with a little syrup (or a lot) and enjoy!



These pancakes come out very moist and sticky like french toast (hence the name)  I like my french toast very eggy and these pancake come out like that.  I think it is from using the coconut milk.  If you want a fluffier pancake try using a different milk like almond milk or skim milk.  If you like gooey french toast then try this recipe with the coconut milk! 

I plan to spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning out my closets and making a trip to Goodwill.  My closets are overflowing and in desperate need of some purging.  My hope is that if I make room in my closet, I will actually put my clothes away instead of building a clothes mountain at the foot of our bed forcing my husband to don climbing gear just to get to his side of the bed. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment